Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My Alaska Holiday Part 3


After cruising all night we were now in Sitka, we couldn’t dock because the port wasn’t deep enough, so we got on a tender. I went gold panning, hoping to find my fortune. I found a bit of gold, as did everyone, but no more, for any one. On reflection, we were given the first pan of dirt by the tour guide, it doesn’t need much imagination to work out that the dirt was seeded with gold. After that I went on a different excursion to a national park looking at fauna. I saw, many and varied plants and flowers, some trees are called nursery trees, the seed nourishes off the nursery tree until the old tree dies and the young tree takes its place. I also saw many totem poles each one tells the story, or dream of the Native American head, of each family. It was both Informative and Interesting. We left Sitka arriving in Ketchikan the next morning. As with all the other places we have seen in Alaska the scenery is breath taking. I went to a lumber jack show were 6 men competed against each other fooling about with each other and the audience, topping it off was a carving of a rabbit done with a chainsaw, it looked terrific. Afterwards I went to a traditional feast of Salmon battered in honey it was surprisingly delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment